*This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclaimer before you continue.
I have discovered 20 methods to relieve anxiety naturally to help you feel better. I have found many of these methods very helpful.
How to relieve anxiety naturally
I am very excited to share with you some methods to relieve anxiety naturally. Anxiety can be very debilitating. One of the triggers that can cause an anxiety disorder to develop is due to worrying about something for six months or more.
I struggled with anxiety (social phobia in particular) for many years. It began when my father got very sick (in my late teens, late 90s). My dad was sick for a couple of years before he passed away.
It became difficult for me to have simple conversations with my closest friends, even my family. My face would turn red for no apparent reason when I would talk to people. Consequently, I felt panicked, embarrassed and vulnerable. In addition, I felt terrible when I could see that other people felt uncomfortable when I was feeling anxious.
It didn’t seem to help whether I explained it to people or not. I still felt awful, out of control and I didn’t feel less anxious. So I decided I was not going to live like this for the rest of my life. Therefore, I needed to discover ways to relieve anxiety naturally.
My journey to positive mental health
First of all, I began taking Paxil. Paxil is an anti-depressant. Depression and anxiety go hand in hand. I took a small dose for about 2 months. I soon decided that I didn’t want to be on medication forever. As a result, I struggled with anxiety for many years. I dealt with it in the moment. Yet, I was not very successful with this.
Finally, I began to research. I read books. I learned methods to relieve anxiety naturally and I discovered some of my own.
How to relieve anxiety naturally
Here are some methods I discovered that you may find useful:
1. Counselling – First of all, I (specifically) recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This is a type of therapy that aims to permanently change patterns of thinking and behavior. This is my most recommended option to relieve anxiety naturally. With this method, it is not only possible to relieve anxiety but to completely eradicate anxiety. A little anxiety is natural. Yet, it becomes a problem when it begins to interfere with your life.
2. Reframing – This is a technique that you will probably learn if you attend counseling. However, it is a method that you can try on your own as well. Reframing is a process whereby you identify your irrational thoughts and beliefs. Then you counteract the irrational thoughts and beliefs with a rational, realistic, positive thought or belief. An example would be if you are having an anxiety attack and you tell yourself “this always happens”. The counteractive thought might be “sometimes I feel anxious but it doesn’t happen all the time”. Then you think of a time when you didn’t have a panic attack.
3. Read – Read books about learning to overcome anxiety. Practice the exercises in the book. Read as many books as you can about the topic. Read the books more than once.
4. Support group – Join an anxiety support group. Try to join a group specific to your particular type of anxiety. This is helpful for discussing your feelings about anxiety. It is also helpful for exploring your specific challenges. You can also learn methods to relieve anxiety that others have found helpful. Groups are also great for inspiring feelings of belonging and a sense that you are not alone in your suffering.
5. Surrender – Accept that sometimes you just feel anxious. This can be difficult. However, I have found the more I resist it, the worse it becomes. Do not accept anxiety as a part of you. Accept it as something that you experience sometimes and that you are working to change.
6. Breathing – When you feel anxious, try breathing exercises. Take a deep breath in for 5 seconds. Hold it for 2 seconds. Then release the breath for 5 seconds. Do this 5 – 10 times. This will help to calm you.
7. Affirmations – Affirmations are positive statements that you say out loud to yourself that describe your desired outcome. Such as “I am confident and relaxed”. You can say affirmations once or twice a day (or as many times as you like really). Continue to say these every day until your desired outcome has been achieved.
8. Divert your attention – When you feel anxious, notice your senses. Pay attention to what you see, what you smell, what you taste, what you hear and what you feel. Notice the feel of your skin for example. This technique diverts your attention away from how you are feeling (mentally and emotionally).
9. Meditation – Anxiety is all about the future. What if this happens, what if that happens. What if, what if, what if. Meditation focuses on the present. It is about being in the present moment. It decreases stress that, in turn, can relieve anxiety. Focus on the present, instead of focusing on the future.
10. Lower stress – Find ways to lower the amount of stress in your life. If you can, remove some of the things in your life that are causing you stress. Research to learn better coping methods. Meditation and exercise are 2 ways to relieve stress.
11. Sleep – Make sure to get enough sleep every night. Getting enough sleep improves your overall well-being. This also allows you to better manage the anxiety you feel. You may even feel less anxious altogether when you get enough sleep.
12. Catch phrase – Find a phrase that you can say to yourself (in your mind) when you are having an anxiety attack. The phrase I use is simply “it’s okay”. Meaning that whatever happens or whatever is happening is okay. This has worked very well for me. Find a phrase that works well for you.
13. Vitamin B12 – Eat foods that are rich in vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 helps to produce serotonin (a feel-good chemical in your brain). Research indicates that low levels of serotonin can lead to anxiety and depression. Some foods high in vitamin B12 include eggs, raw dairy, salmon, tuna and (grass-fed) beef. You could also ask your doctor about taking a supplement (if needed).
14. Omega 3 – Eat foods that are rich in Omega 3. Depression and anxiety are closely connected. Usually, when you have anxiety you also experience depression, and vice versa. Studies show that Omega 3 decreases depression. Some foods high in Omega 3 include fish (tuna, salmon), egg yolks, walnuts, chia seeds and flax seeds. Again, you could take a supplement. Check with your doctor first.
15. Self-care – Do something that you enjoy every day. Take a bath, go for a walk, spend time with a friend, read, etc.
16. Exercise – Studies show that exercise reduces anxiety and depression because it increases mood. Aim for at least 20 – 30 minutes, three to five days a week.
17. Magnesium – Magnesium is a mineral in which many people are deficient. Research shows that magnesium decreases anxiety because it enhances serotonin. Foods high in magnesium include nuts, seeds, leafy green vegetables and bone broth. Or ask your doctor about taking a supplement.
18. Alternative medicine – I have not tried these methods to relieve anxiety, so I don’t know much about them. However, I have heard great things about their positive effect on anxiety. In addition, I have a friend who has had much success with these methods to relieve anxiety. These methods include EFT (also known as ‘tapping’) and floating.
19. Essential oils – Essential oils are helpful for easing anxiety. Some of these include sweet orange, lavender, rose, bergamot and ylang ylang. These essential oils are helpful because they are calming/relaxing or stimulating/uplifting. *Try my essential oil diffuser jewelry.
20. Visualization – Finally, take a few minutes each day to visualize yourself as calm. Visualize yourself as being able to handle any situation with ease.
*Check out this article for more information about certain foods that can help you overcome mental health issues.
*If you feel you could benefit from medication, by all means. I encourage you to do what you feel is best for you.
Please share if you know someone who helpful. Thanks! 🙂
How do you relieve anxiety? Have you found methods to relieve anxiety naturally that work for you? Share your comments below.
Be happy, stay healthy! 🙂