*This post may contain affliliate links.
*Please read my disclaimer before you continue.
Leaky gut syndrome is an epidemic and many are not even aware that they have it. Leaky gut has been linked to many health conditions, diseases and disorders.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
To put it plainly, Leaky Gut Syndrome occurs when substances (food particles, toxins and microbes such as bacteria, fungi, etc) leak from your intestines into your bloodstream. The reason for this leaking is due to the formation of tears in your intestines. When this happens, it causes malabsorption meaning your body becomes unable to absorb vitamins and nutrients. It also causes chronic inflammation which leads to illness and disease.
While Leaky Gut Syndrome is not often recognized by conventional medicine, Naturopathic Doctors are well aware of this condition. Furthermore, evidence is accumulating for Leaky Gut Syndrome as a legitimate condition. Leaky Gut Syndrome is quickly becoming an epidemic.
What causes Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome are due to the constant wear and tear on the body from chronic stress, toxins in our food supply, environmental toxins, overuse of antibiotics and overuse of antibacterial products and disinfectants.
Do you have Leaky Gut Syndrome?
You may have Leaky Gut Syndrome if you have skin conditions, digestive issues and autoimmune conditions. Other warning signs include food allergies, sensitivities or intolerances.
To find out for certain if you have Leaky Gut Syndrome, you can have what is called an Intestinal Permeability Test. This test will analyze whether molecules are passing through the digestive lining.
Leaky Gut Symptoms and conditions
Hippocrates said, “All disease begins in the gut”. I truly believe this. Since I’ve eliminated certain foods from my diet and added others, my symptoms have reduced dramatically. Most of my symptoms have completely disappeared. If you would like some help with this yourself, you can access my food-eliminating toolkit HERE.
As mentioned, Leaky Gut Syndrome has been linked to many conditions such as ADHD, Autism, Alzheimer’s, Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Eczema, Psoriasis, Ulcerative Colitis and more.
How can you heal Leaky Gut Syndrome
This will depend on your unique situation. My best advice would be to see a Naturopathic Doctor. However, if that is not possible, there are steps you can take that are very helpful in healing Leaky Gut Syndrome.
- Eliminate foods – First of all, remove foods from your diet that may be exacerbating the problem. This will be different for each person. Yet, some likely culprits include dairy, commercial wheat, refined sugar and artificial sweeteners, gluten, yeast, alcohol, soy and lactose. Instead try goat’s milk products, almond milk, coconut milk, sprouted wheat, almond flour, coconut flour, cassava flour, coconut oil, honey, maple syrup, date sugar, coconut sugar and stevia (no calories).* If you would like help to eliminate foods, you can access my FREE food-eliminating toolkit.
- Bone broth – Preferably from grass-fed animals because otherwise, you may be ingesting more antibiotics and toxins that may have partly caused the problem in the first place.
- Fermented foods – Eat fermented vegetables such as sauerkraut and fermented milk (kefir).
- Probiotics – Probiotics help replace good bacteria that may have been eradicated from taking medications such as antibiotics. You can take a supplement or you can consume foods with probiotics.
- Digestive enzymes – Digestive enzymes help to digest foods that are not easily digested.
- L–Glutamine – This is a supplement that can be very helpful in healing the lining of your digestive tract which is problematic with leaky gut.
- Eat organic, local, healthy foods – Eat veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs and grass-fed meat.
I have the following two books that I have found them very helpful and informative:
2. Eat Dirt
I cannot tell you how many stories I have heard of people who have healed various conditions just by changing their diet. Please don’t be so quick to reach for medications (and all of their nasty side effects). See a Doctor, change your diet, eliminate your pain, feel better naturally and live longer.*
*To get a better idea of healthy food substitutions, check out my list here.
Please share if you know someone who might find this helpful. Thanks! 🙂
Do you think you may have Leaky Gut Syndrome? Do you know anyone who may have Leaky Gut Syndrome? Share your comments below.
I wish you health and happiness,