*This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn 3 ways/methods to stop an anxiety attack so you can feel better in the moment.
How to stop a panic attack
Do you struggle with anxiety? I know that it can make you feel so frustrated, trying to get help not knowing where to turn, feeling alone, feeling stressed and even embarrassed sometimes about the anxiety you feel. It really takes a toll on you.
I know how it feels to have anxiety and to experience anxiety attacks. It can be scary, make you feel like you’re out of control and desperate to stop it and feel better.
If this is you, if you have anxiety, if you have anxiety attacks and you need some tools and techniques to help you in the moment when you are having an anxiety attack, you’re in the right place.
Today, I want to offer some help for anxiety attacks. I’m gonna’ give you three techniques to help you stop anxiety in its tracks so you can learn how to stop anxiety in the moment. So, what can you do in the moment, when you have anxiety?
Three ways to stop anxiety attacks
Here is some help for anxiety attacks – three methods to stop anxiety in the moment:
1. Ground yourself
The first technique is to ground yourself. One of the main problems with anxiety is your thoughts. It’s all about being in your head. So you want to ground yourself, which means to focus on your physical body. The way to do this is:
- To look around – what can you see? What colors do you see? What is in front of you? Who is in front of you? What can you see in your surroundings?
- What can you smell?
- What can you taste? What do you taste in your mouth? Did you just eat something? Did you just drink something?
- What do you feel? Feel your skin – how does your skin feel? Is it soft, is it rough?
- What do you hear? Do you hear somebody talking? Do you hear music? Do you hear cars going by?
If you can take a couple of minutes (and with your mind) when you’re feeling anxiety, to ground yourself – to think about physical things that are happening that you can sense.
The next tip to stop an anxiety attack in its tracks is to practice mindfulness. This is something that’s really important with anxiety because one of the other big problems with anxiety is that you’re always thinking ahead – what if this happens, what if that happens? So it’s really important to be mindful.
Being mindful means to be in the present – to just stay in the present. One way to do that is to use breathing exercises. You can do these breathing exercises wherever you are. But if you have to (depending on your situation), you can just excuse yourself and maybe go to the washroom, go into a stall. Take a few minutes and do these exercises: all you do is you take a deep breath in for five seconds, hold it for two seconds and breathe out for five seconds. Do this a few times until you feel better.
3. Interrupt your thoughts
The last method to stop anxiety in the moment is to interrupt your thoughts. Again, this is another big problem with anxiety. The thoughts that I’m talking about are negative thoughts and these are thoughts that you tell yourself.
One thing about negative thoughts is that often times, if not all the time, they’re learned. They may have even been learned from someone in your life who has mistreated you. The problem with these thoughts is that if you continue to tell yourself these thoughts, you take over from the person who has mistreated you.
Maybe you had someone in your life, for example, who told you that you’re stupid or you were mentally and emotionally abused in some way. Then you tell it to yourself, “I’m so stupid”. You tell yourself things like that. This can cause anxiety. It’s bad for your mental health. So you want to stop that cycle.
You want to challenge the thought. You want to address the thought – is this actually true? Where did this come from? Treat yourself like you would a friend. You wouldn’t say those things to a friend, so don’t say those things to yourself. Be kind to yourself. ➡️ Virtual hug from me, friend. ❤️
More help for anxiety attacks
Here are two other (natural) resources you can use to help with anxiety attacks:
- Pay what you want for my ebook – ’35 Natural remedies for anxiety’ includes foods to avoid, food and supplements that help anxiety, prevention methods, relaxation methods, more strategies for dealing with anxiety in the moment, alternative medicine as well as 2 apps, tools, tips, resources and more to help you relieve anxiety naturally.
- Anxiety roller blends – in my Etsy shop, you’ll find an anxiety roller blend for adults and one for kids as well.
Please share if you know someone who would find this helpful. Thanks! 🙂
Do you know any other helpful methods to stop anxiety attacks? Share your comments below.
I wish you health and happiness,
- How to treat anxiety naturally – 3 steps to treat anxiety - October 6, 2020
- Foods to avoid with eczema – 3 foods that cause eczema - September 24, 2020
- What causes yeast overgrowth and what should you do about it? - September 17, 2020