Homemade Hand Sanitizer
*This post may contain affiliate links.
This homemade hand sanitizer is super simple to make and contains only three ingredients – aloe vera gel, witch hazel and essential oils. Most importantly, it is alcohol free, so it won’t dry out your hands and it won’t sting your hands (or any cuts on your hands) either. In fact, aloe vera gel and witch hazel are both healing to the skin; both have traditionally been used to heal cuts.
Witch hazel is an astringent, although it won’t dry out your hands either. It is used in this recipe to help blend the aloe vera gel and essential oils. Water does not blend well with essential oils (water does not blend well with any oils, as I’m sure you are aware) and aloe vera gel is over 90% water.
Anti-bacterial essential oils
Tea tree, lemongrass and grapefruit are the essential oils used in this recipe. All of these essential oils are anti-bacterial. Tea tree essential oil is the most powerful anti-bacterial essential oil. However, lemongrass and grapefruit essential oils are anti-bacterial as well, plus they give this homemade hand sanitizer a wonderful citrus, lemony smell.
What’s wrong with commercial hand sanitizers?
There are two problems with commercial hand sanitizers:
- Store-bought (non-natural) hand sanitizers are made with anti-bacterial chemicals that kill all bacteria, not just harmful bacteria. It is not healthy to kill all bacteria. Experts agree it is important to be exposed to some bacteria. Like Dr. Axe says in his groundbreaking book, “Eat Dirt”!
- The overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial products is causing antibiotic medication to become resistant to bacteria. Antibiotics are no longer doing the job they were meant to do.
Try natural products
Dr. Axe explains that anti-bacterial essential oils have been shown to kill bacteria without becoming resistant to it (source). So, if you are up for a making a simple homemade hand sanitizer with anti-bacterial essential oils, you can try this recipe. I love these cute bottles too.
If not, and you’d rather buy a natural, non-toxic hand sanitizer, I recommend this one.
- 5 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp witch hazel
- 8 drops tea tree essential oil
- 8 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 8 drops grapefruit essential oil
Add aloe vera gel to a small bowl.
Pour in witch hazel.
Add essential oils.
Pour into BPA free container.
Please share if you know someone who might find this helpful. Thanks! 🙂
Have you made your own homemade hand sanitizer? Do you have a natural, store-bought hand sanitizer that you like? Share your comments below.
Be happy, stay healthy! 🙂